Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Coloring Penguins Tutorial by Kristine


Hello High Hopes Fans!!

Click here for the current challenge

It's Tutorial Tuesday Time!!

Kristine has a wonderful Penguin Coloring Tutorial to share today so I'll hand this post over to her...

I have been having a blast with the latest High Hopes release.  The penguins are absolutely adorable and the samples the design team has been making are fabulous!  The penguins can be a challenge to color because there is so much black on them.  Most people’s instinct is to grab a black pen and color in their image.  If you’ve done this you’ve probably found that your image ends up somewhat flat and lifeless.
When you look at things in real life that are “black” they are hardly ever truly black.  They are usually made up of variations of gray and black.  So to create black in your coloring you will use a few different shades of gray…..no….Not 50 shades :-)


Today I am going to show you how to color these great penguin images with results that you’ll love!
I used Spectrum Noir Markers for today’s tutorial but you could use any alcohol marker brand you like.
Begin by stamping your image on smooth white paper with Memento Tuxedo Black Dye Ink. (first panel)
Then color in the entire “black” area of the penguin with a light shade of Gray.  I used IG2 (second panel)

Outline your Penguin in a really dark Gray or Black. I used IG9 (first panel)

In the middle panel you can see how I added a slightly lighter gray (IG8) right next to the darker color.
In the last panel I added a gray two shades lighter (IG6) right next to the IG8 and I used this color to help blend all the gray lines together.


In the first panel of this final set I used my lightest Gray(IG1) to blend and move some of the darker color out of the center of the penguin’s flippers.  I used a light green (CG1) on the earmuffs, and gray (IG2) and a medium purple (LV2)on his glasses.  I colored the letters in with a light Iced Blue (BT1) , coral (CR1) to his beak and feet and colored his heart with red (DR1).
For the middle panel I added a darker Ice Blue (BT2) to the words and the snow, darker orange (OR3) to his feet and beak, and darker green (CG3) to his earmuffs.
Finally, I added the darkest Ice Blue to the letters (IB3) and medium orange (OR2) to the beak.  I went in with the lightest of each color and blended my lines together until they were blended.

Here is my final project:

I hope you enjoyed today’s tutorial and that it helps you to color all of the awesome new Penguin images from High Hopes Stamps!

3 comments:

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

Nice job, Kristine!

Carol Dee said...

Thank You, I always have trouble coloring BLACK hair, animals or objects. This is helpful. Hugs....

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa said...

Thanks for the tutorial. The shading looks great and black is so hard to work with!